June 17, 2010

Something to whip up when you're bored

Not working full time has left me with a lot of free-time on my hands, free-time that I'm trying to fill with working out, knitting and experimenting in the kitchen. After spending some time browsing the net yesterday, I found a cookie recipe that I wanted to try. It came from Thinkfood, a cookbook that features 50 original, brain-healthy recipes, each created by a different food blogger.

I had to make a few changes, or rather adaptations to the recipe. I used white whole wheat flour instead of whole wheat because that is what I had on hand and swapped the canola oil for olive oil. I also didn't have flaxseed meal (the regular grocery store here in Pasadena doesn't have a healthy/organic food section), so I just took it out.  One thing I noticed is that the dark chocolate chips make the cookies sweet, so the next time I make these, I'll probably omit the agave nectar and sub in another 1/4 cup of milk.

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies



1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup regular milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until batter is blended evenly. Use a tablespoon to portion cookies on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, approximately 1-2 inches apart.  Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes.  Remove cookies from baking sheet and allow to cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment