May 17, 2010

Along the way, things started to change

At work last week I copied down a recipe ( I forgot where I got it from...so I can't give the credit to someone right now, but I will try to find them) that caught my eye. A zucchini chocolate chip loaf cake.  The zucchini in the recipe was very intriguing and I knew I had to try it.  I picked up a few items that I didn't have at home and off I went into my kitchen to bake this unusual cake.

Originally I was going to follow the recipe that I copied down, but somewhere along the way, things started to change.  Here is my version:

Zucchini Chocolate Cup Cakes




2 cups blanched almond flour
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (this is a must because I found that it does a good job of toning down the zucchini taste)
a little less than 1/4 cup of olive oil (sorry I can't be more specific than that) +1 tbsp melted butter*
1/3 cup of agave nectar (you could bring this down to 1/4 cup if you wish)
2 eggs, room temperature
1 grated zucchini (with peel)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Grease half-sized muffin tins as paper liners are not used
Combine all dry ingredients. Mix well.
Combine oil, butter, agave nectar, and eggs. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Fold in zucchini.

Using a tablespoon (not the measuring kind, but the spoon that comes with your cutlery set and is bigger than the dessert spoon), distribute batter into the muffin tins. 

Bake.  Use the toothpick test to decide when the muffins are ready. I don't have a set time because my oven is finicky.

Makes 12-14 half-sized muffins or 1 loaf cake.

Oh, after the muffins came out of the oven, I decided to shove 1-2 chocolate chips into the muffins for decoration.

*Note: You can substitute in unsweetened apple sauce for the oil

1 comment:

  1. I think this is what you dropped off this morning. It's really good. *yummm*
    JzK!
    -ZH

    ReplyDelete